I will never cease to be amazed by the quality and caliber of mind and soul of those few brave soldiers of faith and truth that surround Thomas Aquinas College. After a long and rather depressing stint in the 'real' world, I suddenly found myself sitting in the dust of a fire break 3000-odd feet above Ojai under the competing light of moon and stars, probing with my new-found friends the mystery and depth of Love. LiLosSoljr spoke words that illustrated deeply hidden things in my soul so perfectly that all I could do was look up at the stars and ponder; and the ideas sparked that night have not yet allowed my brain peace. I am drawn back to a time early in my Senior year when I was consumed with the question: what is Love? Only to unwilling let the question drift steadily to the back of my mind unanswered. But it is back unexpectedly, with all its subtleties, and it seems somehow a bit less elusive this time. Yet I go in circles. How can I be so intensely in love if there is nothing distinct that I am actually loving? Why must I think and love and feel in terms of forms and passionate idealistic perfection? I am destroyed and yet filled to overflowing...poetic dreams rising and falling with each new day. I have asked these questions again and again; and a light begins to dawn slightly as I sit, donut in one hand, coffee in the other, singing 'Robin Hood and Little John' from Disney's Robin Hood: Love is made up of good friends, good company; Love is laughing, singing, working together; its about giving and accepting what is given gratefully without expectation; it is appreciation of what is good and a mutual acknowledgement of that. As my best friend, and one of the best men in the world, likes to say: 'Friendship, (real love) is two people standing side by side, looking to a third and greater thing. The Light of the World, perhaps...?
Monday, August 23, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment