Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I've had the eerie echoes of a song called 'Eden' drifting through my head ever since Pandora played it last night while I was working out at the Ranch. The internet station was set to play music by and similar to Delirium, a band I used to listen to all the time in college---an eclectic mix of chamber, choral and techno; weird, trance-like and filled with gloom and darkness. Feeling nostalgic, I had put it on as a background to the unwanted mechanicing for the night. Once again, I was back out there at the filthy shop, in the dark by myself, plugging away on the old car and wishing I didn't have to be there, wishing the car would just go away...

...after enough time turning wrenches in the heavy silence of the empty ranch and outbuildings with that ethereal music all around, I couldn't help feeling some of the old pangs of loneliness from the years before my AC and the New One. Emotions that that are tied up in work, silence, old cars and houses, and most of all, being alone. These days I have all but lost interest in working on cars anymore, and invariably, that kind of work seems to carry my back to old thoughts and feelings that are somewhat out of place in the life I am trying to live now. With my current job I can't escape it, at least not yet, but as Dylan says, "The times they are a changin".

No comments:

Post a Comment