Wednesday, August 13, 2008

5-something pm on a Friday not that long ago, standing in BlockBuster with the annoying dilemma of what to watch? After a seeming endless stream of suggestions and musings we decided on Pulp Fiction. I had only seen it once before and remember being a little stunned (I was high school after all), so I wasn't sure what I would think of it this time around. But you know, it was good. I liked it. And I noticed something about it I didn't pick up on the first time: there is a theme that runs through the whole movie of the desire--albeit an awkward and misguided one---for morality and redemption, which I guess is fairly obvious considering the last scene and how Samuel L. Jackson handles the hold-up; but more than that, the characters who really look hard at making a change in their lives seem to come out okay---they are at least trying to face the right direction---and they walk away in the end, on to (hopefully) better things. The characters who are dismissive and content in their ways however all end up dead or in a really bad way by the end of the film. I might not be right, but I think there is a subtle thread through of faith in merits of living a good life...

But it still is a bloody gross flick.

2 comments:

  1. Darren,

    We are still in Ave Maria, though we left briefly for a sojourn in MN because we couldn't bear to raise children down here. Now we are praying a novena to ask WHERE and WHEN God wants us to get out and go make the leap to try and homestead it. We are so firmly convinced that a small family farm is the very best way to raise a family...the only job that doesn't require one of us to spend most of our lives with co-workers! And work that the children can do with us. SIGH. I told Shane the other day that I was feeling blue and the only thing that would fix it was a pygmy milking goat. :)A small
    Sustainable farm is where we are headed GOD willing!!
    So we are both in store for we newborn happiness! Hurrah! Congrats to you guys too!
    Chiara

    ReplyDelete
  2. boyer's favorite movie.

    pulp fiction....

    ReplyDelete