My heart is burning within me...I just had my first taste of art history, an excerpt section of film discussing the discovery of the use of perspective in the early renaissance period. Did you know that until 1413 A.D. no one had ever used vanishing points or any form of real perspective in art? The thesis put forth by this film is that the idea of perspective is conventional and cultural, and not a natural inclination. This makes sense because if you think about it, you know intellectually that the road before you is actually two parallel lines, no matter what it looks like; so when setting out to draw it, you would naturally tend to draw what you know it to be, not what it tricks your eye to be. Yet this is not what we actually see. The passion I feel for this subject is as powerful as was unexpected. All I want to do right now is move to Florence and study art history while being tutored in classical painting. Then I could spend the rest of my life teaching art and decorating churches. But seriously, I feel as if I had just been treated to the finest and sweetest wine...
Wednesday, March 30, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment