For about a month now I have completely abandoned my loyal Klein single speed and have been exclusively riding a fixed gear bicycle. First it was the Takara that I built up as a cheap trial run beater bike---since the culture surrounding these machines (though it is becoming absolutely huge) has no real affect on me, the bike would have to convince me through it own merits, and I had no idea whether or not it would be enjoyable to ride something that you can't stop pedaling. Well. It WAS fun (I had already figured I would be hooked right off), so I went ahead with my plans for a lighter, nicer, more serious rig. It took a little while, but my is she pretty. The Trek has been finished for two days, and I can't get off it. Riding a fixed gear bike is a completely new and wonderful thing. Cycling is more than enjoyable on this thing---it a compulsion. It has brought back all the joys of learning to ride when I was five, with a dose of the BMX tricks that filled my spare time in high school; it has beautifully smooth, silent operation and the effortless speed only a very lightweight bike can achieve. This bike truly is a joy to ride, and I encourage you all: forget about the dumbass hipsters with their tight jeans and messenger bags who ride them, it's got nothing to do with that; look at them as simply the rawest and purest form of bicycle. Go ride a fixie and see for yourself.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Posted by Darren Cools at 11:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment