I get a huge kick out of vintage pulp art: movie posters, comics, novel covers, etc.; they are always good for a laugh of course, but sometimes there is some real (if rushed) talent there, and some of the layouts and text are well executed as well. Those artists put out a lot of work for very little pay, and they have found a permanent place in to consciousness of American Art. The midterm for my design class is coming up in very short order, and I have been drawing a blank for a project idea---I think there is perhaps too much freedom of subject and media this time---anyway, I'm pretty sure I will follow some sort of '50s pulp magazine theme...fictitious, naturally. Here are some initial sketches. I will post a finished product whenever that comes about!
Tuesday, March 04, 2008
Posted by Darren Cools at 10:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


The covers of Tom Swift come to mind, not to mention a bunch of sci fi stuff. Very cool. You might also check out the Mexican Movie posters from the 50's. Even cooler!
ReplyDelete