Tuesday, February 12, 2008

More drawings from class. The wave was a project that had to be based on the Golden Mean, or in this case, the Pythagorean Spiral; medium is pen and colored pencil. I picked the smoking geisha from a National Geographic article because the caption next to the picture says that smoking was very fashionable in the Edo Period in Japan, despite all manner of anti-smoking pressure from the Shoguns---I found this way too entertaining, and I love old Japanese art anyway---'There is nothing new under the sun' and all that... This is only my second attempt at painting, which was a requirement for this project, and it is done in acrylic. Painting is hard. I enjoyed the challenge, but it was a very intense and stressful operation...




3 comments:

  1. To you knowledge do any old Japanese paintings use such spiral? Would be an amazing thing if they did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure; Japan was completely cut off from the West until circa 1850, so when these were being painted the whole of Western culture had just arrived...so maybe, but I don't really know. It really would be awesome if they had some innate sense if it even in their isolation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i must say i think this is some of your best work... i really like it. if i had a printer and walls that were friendly to the putting up of art work they would most definitely be going up...
    love to anna!

    ReplyDelete