This is an epic moment. I am blogging from a brand new, bought-straight-from-the factory MacBook, MY MacBook, the first Apple I have owned or really used. I am not sure whether this marks a great fall, finally having succumbed to the absurd but seductive call of the unimaginably slick and hip, or whether this is truly the proper move into present times as I tell myself it is. Now that I am in school for Graphic Design, this only makes sense, and it has the added bonus of solidifying my commitment to a very exciting planned career change; but seriously, what am I going to do with 4 GIGS of RAM? Efficiently run my other bank-breaking purchase, the Adobe Design Suite, I guess. This is weird---I don't do things like this. Plodding along with used, scuffed, scavenged cast-offs os more my mode. On the other hand, this was a carefully weighed decision, made after many hours of agony and conversation, and I assure you, I am completely won over by the sheer sexiness of it all; still, it was quite an unusually large investment for the likes of me. AC consoles me by saying it is like buying my dentists' chair. She is absolutely right of course, and for that kind of support I am infinitely grateful. The way I like to look at it best though is the way my old friend from Oregon's dad sums up the dilemma of owning a car [and I paraphrase]: if you start out buying the $500 special that you string along for several months or (if you're lucky) years, then throw it away when it dies and get another $500 pile, at some point you will be too buried in kids and bills to even move up the $1000 rusty beauty; however, if you go out on that limb and get a new car right out the gate, you will have more time to save before the need for a new one catches up to you, and most importantly you are used to living with payments AND retain trade-in value. It's only up from there. Well, old cars are a way of life for me, and even if they weren't, it's way too late for that, but when it comes to something like this Mac...well, I have to say I agree with the premise. After all, of those who start out at the same place the guy who gets rich isn't usually the hardest worker or the most talented, he's the one who simply knew that someday he WOULD be rich, and acted as if it were already true. I guess the future will unfold in God's good time, and in His own Wise way. Alright, no more preaching tonight; I'm going to bed to dream about how amazingly cool, trendy, good-looking and intelligent I am now with my new tool [toy].
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment