Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Thinking today about my very first blog post, written while sitting in the Dunlap's bedroom with Seldom and Equivocal on an old half-busted laptop in the early stages of one of the best roadtrip/weekend vacations I have ever had. Life has really been full and good to me. Someone once remarked to me that memories are very dangerous, and at the time I sort of agreed with her: a lot of pain and sadness can come of dwelling on the past. And yet....since then I have come to disagree completely. Without memory you cannot develop, you can't move forward. If you shut out the past you not only tragically lose all the warmth and joy of the good things in your life, but you put up a wall that blocks you from learning and keeps you from building a better life from knowing your missteps and your own sadness. Memory is a precious gift and something to take seriously. Without it you (I) could not live.
This weekend we watched Metropolis, the (Anime one), and it was stunning. Toward the end there is a scene that is quite possibly the most beautiful sequence I have ever seen in a movie. You should watch it. Also this weekend, we watched a commercial being made on a beach in Malibu, rode a motorcycle, played music, made delicious food, almost fell off a cliff while hiking, missed a flight, split wood, and lost our minds (not all in that order)...good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment