Sunday, November 13, 2005

After spending a life (what I have lived of it) looking for 'peace and quiet', withdrawing into myself, frightened of people and most social situations, even the most tame, I have come to really savor the chance encounters and occasional moments of connection and friendship with others. Funny how quickly we form strong walls around our little worlds, and how efficient those walls are at keeping us from seeing anything beyond what is inside. I feel as if I have a new brother and sister. It's easy to talk and be good friends with a lot of different types of people, but sometimes you get to know someone and the communication is so effortless and instant that within minutes you find yourself treating them like a favorite sibling. From the beach to In-N-Out, a blues jam at Zoey's, and a butt-cold mountaintop with endless beer, music and cigarettes, to morning tea and falling asleep at the wheel, I couldn't have had a better time. Such fabulous conversation on everything (from goofy and lame to deadly serious), but mostly on growing up in a large catholic family, taking care of beloved younger siblings and banding together with them against great mental and emotional strife. The similarities between my family and last night's friends'---all the remembered comments, the reactions, the way we suffered, the triumphs, and angry, desperate love---could hardly have been more identical. I am surprised at how much relief and comfort comes from just knowing there are others who know exactly what you experienced---even what you thought back then when you went through it all---without you needing to explain a thing. In the end, family really does mean the most. God bless them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment