I guess I must really be a hippie after all. Watching this guy's movies I am struck by the masterful depictions of peaceful life, simple-minded love of others, and the universal charity his heroines always show. The art and imagination is truly mind-blowing, even though the stories are a bit incoherent at times. More than any other director, he seems to uphold a serious notion of carrying one's cross with patience and joy. Despite the weirdness, there is real 'character' in his people. Why am I moved so by this? After watching Howl's Moving Castle I felt very much myself and comforted, as if I had just made friends with someone who understood me very well. There is an endless searching in me for beauty and wonder that finally is the striving for the divine...but I am swept away by these characters and daydreams and the promise of quiet fulfillment. Perhaps this is why it is unlikely I will ever have a 'good' job or a consistent life.
Tuesday, September 13, 2005
Posted by Darren Cools at 10:22 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment