Sunday, July 17, 2005

Last night Justin and I planned to watch a movie and have a couple drinks. It was going to be quiet evening, relaxed and moderate with an early bedtime. All was going according to plan when along came our new upstairs neighbors. From the outset I could see there was no escape.
"Come, come!" They stammered in very broken English. "Korean Barbecue!"
We soon found ourselves running to the store to get beer and charcoal, at this point still clinging to the rapidly fading original plan. The beer was going to be for us and for the movie after we ate (we would share of course) and the charcoal because they seemed confused and we felt sorry for them.
Upon returning, the little middle-aged Korean couple had laid Korean newspapers all over the table and chairs, and were calling out plaintively for, "Porks!" Soon they unveiled a huge salad, hot Gimchi, and heaping plates of BBQ-ed ribs. The food was awesome. We began stuffing. The Korean man, 'Dee' ran up to his room and brought out some very expensive rice wine, which he insisted on giving to us as a gift. (We later learned that he had given us over $400 worth of fine wine). It was called Baik-Se-Do (I don't think I spelled that right) and the name means that if you drink it you will live to be 100.
Soon after this, the other not-so-nice neighbors showed up and began to help themselves. Not long after that another neighbor came by, the one who is never home. Everyone has been saying that he was in Singapore writing a novel, and when he heard this he laughed. He is actually an Englishman living near San Diego who keeps this apartment on the side, and he is not a writer at all---he is working on a project to push Stem-Cell research glaringly into the public eye. He is also an Evolutionist at some University.
Around this time 'Dee' declared the he is "Always happy---Always!" His wife laughed and smiled and continually asked whether we like the food. We had been assuring her the whole time that we loved it, but it wasn't until Dee saw that the Gimchi plate was almost empty that it sunk in. He grabbed his head in his hands: "OOOOOOHHH! You like Gimchi! My wife---she---crazy with happy you like her food!"
Things went on like this for while, the 12-pack of St. Pauli's Girl was gone and we had all had a lot of wine as well, when Dee suddenly shouted, "Korean style! Korean style! Wine shot!" This began a series of toasts to 'cheers' (put in by the Englishman) followed by shot after shot of the fancy rice wine.
It wasn't too much later that I ended up snoozing away happily on the couch while outside everyone continued to drunkenly attempt to communicate to the sound of the nightly sprinklers going off under the buckets we had plopped over them. I heard later that the husband of less desirable neighbors went home and beat his wife until she called for help and everyone was in a ruckus. I guess I was pretty much out cause I didn't hear a thing. All in all, quite a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment