Saturday, May 28, 2005

I was awakened at 3:30 this morning by an old friend to the declaration: "We're going to the Sierras!" Rolling over, I thought about this...I wanted to just brightly respond 'okay', and go; but my conscience started reminding me of all the things I would be sadly neglecting if I left for the weekend. I hesitated, though still undecided. He sat down heavily and looked at me: "We've grown up. The wild days of college are over, my friend. I dined with some friends of mine tonight, and I saw the beauty of their family, and how the parents were all tied up with kids and responsibilities and were happy to be so...I just wanted to prove that for the moment I was still free." So we went out for donoughts and coffee on the middle of the night, and ended up singing in a cemetery shrouded in a heavy early morning marine layer. Stumbling back to bed around 6:00am I thought to myself: We are free...even if we didn't go to the Sierras. Occasional brief interludes like this will always be possible whether we are tied down with kids or not...it's not about losing so much as changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment