Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The Dimrill Stair is an overgrown trail that leads from the East end of Ojai to a rocky outcropping overlooking the whole valley. It was so named in days of yore by tutor kids and a few of their accomplices long before most of us knew them. Well, I went up there today to retrieve a much beloved hat left behind along with a healthy (or perhaps not so healthy) dose of my sobriety one evening not so long distant. Winding my way through the bushes, I crossed the stream (which was running quite roughly) and a little way up the path came upon a very unique scene; the aging wooden steps stretched away among the crouching trees and foliage, and every one of them was a waterfall. The stream had apparently re-directed itself and chosen the abandoned stairs as its new bed. Affected by the quietude of the day and the gently falling water, I stood for a moment and took it in. Purpose reminded me of the long walk, and rolling up my jeans like a girl from the 60s I waded in. Funny, I have now on two occasions seen the rain falling up. Standing at the top of the ridge, tiny drops pelted me from below as the wind raced up the steep incline. Crisp, the wind on my face carved it into a grimace as rough clouds swept in low from the frowning hills. Sadly, the long finger of duty jabbed at me, and under the baleful stare, I bowed my head and started down.
Home is quite after the wild hillside. My thoughts wander to a face; close, but beyond reach for now...And the hat has happily returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment