I've been encouraged, (or rather, it's been demanded of me) to write about something beautiful or at least interesting around here. I guess I haven't really made much effort to enjoy this place, though I know I ought to; It's my own home after all, my original stomping ground as it were. So yesterday morning I was sitting in my uncle's kitchen looking out at his yard and the fields spreading beyond; he had gone to work, and his wife to the store, leaving the house empty and silent. I realized all at once how much I enjoy a quiet, empty house. For good or ill, it seems to be one of the most relaxing things in world (does this mean I can't get married? All those screaming kids! My dad has 9 of us!). I also noticed that beyond a quiet house, living in the countryside is perhaps one of the most important aspects to living a peaceful, thoughtful life. The biggest reason for my recent dissatisfaction with the places I have been living is simply this: no peace. But who am I to make claims on life? Charity comes about through being among others, not hiding in a corner protecting yourself from...what? A house full of good people doing worthy things (like seminar at Dr. Ferrier's) is a great thing too. So, as for my appreciation of beauty here in the Northwest, I love the wide spaces, the little pockets of forest, and the old, settled houses. There a lot of silence to be had up here. I grew up caressed by it. It truly is beautiful here.
Saturday, December 04, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment