Tuesday, September 21, 2004

I just sold my (or rather, my brother's) car, and despite all I tell myself I am looking forward to, I feel a sharp sadness coming over me. It's hard to see that loyal old beater go. I spent a lot of time in that car, times when I didn't have a home, times when there was nothing but me and the car and a lonely empty road. Times when I felt as if I would never have another friend in the whole world. So many changes since graduation. Nothing has been the same for more than a week at a time; people and friends come and go, familiar places left behind, jobs lost in the sea of survival. It leaves a person with a feeling of not belonging anywhere somehow, of rattling around in a world that has no place for him. And now, looking ahead again, I wonder. What will come with passing of the miles? Where will I next rest my head? Who will see as I walk home in the rain?

No comments:

Post a Comment