"I once was a young boy who had big plans, but now I'm just another shitty old man" ---Green Day
I caught a glimpse of myself lately: a rather serious-looking young man in ripped jeans, a black shirt, and flip-flops; long messy hair, unshaven, walking in the rain smoking a cigarette. I look like a cross between a fucking hippie and an introverted punk! Fascinating...
In all this wandering I am wondering about this whole self-discovery idea thingy: seems to me like this (travel and new experience) is for the sake of broader knowledge and deeper understanding of the world, but if we want to know ourselves, that knowledge is already in us. It comes down to a matter of proper perspective, humility, charity, responsibility. There is a lot of talk about 'taking it easy', having fun and 'hanging out'. Of course we ought to appreciate others and indulge in wholesome craziness and relaxation, but it's easy to forget ourselves. The greatest fun, I would say, is not constantly seeking the parties and random company, but the cherishing of a true friend and the satisfaction of resolutely treading the one path. Having said all that, I look again at myself in the window of a Denver high-rise and say: 'Look at that pathetic loser! Where is he going anyway?'
Wednesday, July 21, 2004
Posted by Darren Cools at 11:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment